Below is information about termination for reasons other than retirement.

Conditions for a Refund

A teacher with at least 20 days of contributory service may apply for a refund after being absent from teaching for 4 months excluding teaching on a substitute basis. Refunds are subject to the following lock-in provisions:

Lock-In Restrictions

  • Less than 10 Consecutive* Years of Service

A teacher who ceases to teach and has credit for less than 10 consecutive* years of teaching service, may apply for a refund of all contributions, plus interest. Interest is payable on all refunds

  • Ten or More Consecutive* Years of Service
    • Age 45 or More – A teacher who ceased teaching after January 1, 1969, and who has 10 or more consecutive* contributory years of service, and who has attained the age of 45 years, may request a refund of only those contributions made prior to 1969 together with credited interest. Consecutive years of service must consist of teaching service prior and subsequent to January 1, 1969. Remaining service is locked in.
    • Less than Age 45 – A teacher who ceases to teach prior to attaining the age of 45 years and who has 10 or more consecutive* contributory years of service after January 1, 1969, may apply for a refund of only those contributions made prior to January 1, 1969, together with interest thereon. Remaining service is locked in.

Note: For the purposes of this section, a consecutive year is one during which a minimum of 140 days of contributory service are recorded.

In Receipt of Disability Benefit

A teacher in receipt of a disability benefit is not eligible for a refund.

Amount of Refund

The compound annual interest rate payable on a refund of contributions is as follows:

  • 4% to June 30, 1976
  • 6% to June 30, 1980
  • 7% to June 30, 1994
  • interest rate earned by the Fund thereafter
  • all refunds are payable in one lump sum. Income tax at a nominal rate is deducted from the refund unless the funds are transferred into an RRSP. Matching government contributions remain in the Teachers’ Superannuation Fund.
Refund AmountIncome Tax
less than $5,00010%
over $15,00030%

Reinstatement of Refund

A teacher who has accepted a refund and wishes to restore the refund, may do so by repaying the full amount of the refund in a lump sum or in installments of at least one year’s contributions together with interest calculated at the rate of 5% until June 30, 1971, 8% until June 30, 1994, and thereafter at 2% above the rate credited by the Teachers Superannuation Funds.


  • a cheque or money order for the required amount made payable to the Saskatchewan Teachers Superannuation Fund should be sent to the Saskatchewan Teachers’ Superannuation Commission, or
  • Form T2033 available from the Saskatchewan Teachers’ Superannuation Commission may be used to transfer funds from your RRSP.

Commuted Value

A teacher whose contributions are locked-in and who has not contributed to the Plan for at least 4 months is eligible for a transfer of the commuted value of the deferred allowance subject to a minimum of teacher contributions plus interest. The commuted value must be transferred to a locked-in RRSP or RPP, subject to Revenue Canada maximums. Amounts in excess are paid in cash less income tax.

Note: Reinstatements are not permitted following the transfer of the commuted value.



  • Application for Refund
  • T2151(E) if transferring to an RRSP

If the refund is to be transferred to an RRSP, the cheque will be made payable and forwarded directly to the recipient’s RRSP account. In the case of a cash payment, a cheque will be made payable and forwarded to the teacher less application income taxes. (A T4A will be mailed in February of the next tax year.) A refund of contributions, at any time, may prohibit the transfer of service and funds between the Teachers Superannuation Plan and the Federal Superannuation Plan.

Spouse of Deceased Teacher

Where a former teacher dies leaving a small amount of funds in the Plan, the surviving spouse of the former teacher may be eligible for a benefit. Please contact the Commission for specific rules.