Frequently Asked Questions

The Government of Saskatchewan and the Saskatchewan Teachers' Federation mutually agree to contract the insurance carrier responsible for payment of benefits provided by the Plan.

The Teachers' Superannuation Commission will:
  • prescribe forms for submission of claims; (The dental claim form is available from the dental office or a copy is available under forms on this website.)
  • establish procedures for verification of eligibility and verify eligibility for coverage where required; and,
  • communicate with teachers regarding terms of the Plan.
The Minister of Finance, on behalf of the Government of Saskatchewan, is responsible for full costs of the Plan.

Teachers are not required to contribute to the Plan.
Effective March 24, 1998, teachers employed on a regular, temporary or replacement contract of employment in accordance with Section 200 of The Education Act or a private high school that is eligible for capital grants will become eligible for coverage upon completion of 20 days of teaching service. Dental services incurred during the 20-day qualifying period will be covered after completion of the qualifying period.

Effective June 30, 1999, teachers employed on a temporary or replacement contract to the end of the school year will have dental coverage extended during the period July 1 to August 31, regardless of whether the teacher has a new contract for the fall.

The extended dental coverage from July 1 to August 31, does not apply to superannuated teachers on a temporary contract.

Eligible teachers employed on a part-time basis are covered at the same level as eligible full-time teachers.

A qualification period will be required for each contract if there has been a break in service of more than 120 days.

Teachers receiving disability benefits under the STF Long-Term Disability Plan and/or the Teachers' Superannuation Plan are covered under the Dental Plan, as well as teachers on any board approved leave.

It is important to keep accurate and current records for each eligible teacher and their dependents at the Teachers' Superannuation Commission. Updates should be made on MySTF whenever there is a change in your marital status or dependents.
Spouse or common-law spouse
  • Spouse is a person who is legally married to an eligible member, or a person who has cohabited continuously with an eligible member in a spousal relationship for at least 12 months.
  • Where there is both a legal and common-law spouse, coverage for the legal spouse ceases immediately upon the coverage becoming effective for the common-law spouse.
Child or stepchild
  • Under age 21, living with the teacher, solely dependent upon the teacher for support.
  • Age 21 or over whom, by reason of mental or physical infirmity, is solely dependent upon the teacher for support. A Disabled child form must be completed and approved by Green Shield Canada before the dependent turns age 21. Please contact the Saskatchewan Teachers' Dental Plan Administrator to request a form.
  • Age 21 and under age 26, dependent upon the teacher for support and in full-time attendance at an educational institution.
A Confirmation letter is required from the Educational Institution as a proof of full-time attendance.

When submitting a claim for a dependent child, the parent whose birth date falls earliest in the year should submit to their dental plan first and then submit secondly to the spouses dental plan. If the dependent is a student, declare student status and the name of the educational institution on the claim form.
Click here for more information about coverage and levels of benefits.
An adjustment will be made to the Maximum Plan Reimbursement level upon the effective date of any changes to the suggested Fee Guide provided by the College of Dental Surgeons of Saskatchewan and the Denturist Society of Saskatchewan during the period of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Effective January 1, 1989, reimbursement to participants will be equivalent to the current College of Dental Surgeons of Saskatchewan Fee Guide or the Denturist Society of Saskatchewan Fee Guide if applicable.

Level I
- Preventive Services
- 100% of the eligible charge

Level II
- Basic and Routine Services
- 85% of the eligible charge

Level III
- Major Restorative Services
- 60% of the eligible charge

Level IV
- Orthodontic Services
- 50% of the eligible charge
No payment will be made for:
  • extra charges by the dentist or denturist for completion of claim forms or for broken appointments;
  • cosmetic treatment, experimental treatment or dietary planning;
  • services for treatment of congenital or developmental malformation; or,
  • expense for dentures which have been lost, mislaid or stolen.
No payment will be provided by the Plan where coverage exists through the Medical Care Insurance Commission, Workers' Compensation, Saskatchewan Government Insurance or other government programs or legislation.

Effective January 1, 1991, the missing tooth clause has been eliminated. Any work done after January 1, 1991 regarding missing teeth, will now be considered for payment if the procedure is one covered by the Saskatchewan Teachers' Dental Plan.
You are encouraged to obtain an estimate in those instances where the anticipated cost for prescribed services is expected to exceed $300.

Prior estimates for prescribed services are not required.

A teacher's dental claim form must be completed by the teacher when submitting for an estimate in the same manner as an actual claim.
You have three options for submitting claims to GSC:

Provider-submitted claims: Many dental providers will electronically submit claims on your behalf. As of January 1, 2023, you will need to present your digital GSC ID card and ask them to submit your claims directly to GSC. All of the information they will require for direct billing is on the card. GSC is currently sending out targeted communications to health and dental care providers across the province to ensure they are aware of the change in coverage for teachers and providing them with the information they need to assist you in this transition

Do-it-yourself online claims: Through this service, you pay for the dental service then submit your claim online through GSC everywhere (web or mobile app). If you sign up for direct deposit, your claim payment is deposited into your bank account approximately two business days from the date your payment is processed.

Paper claims: For claims that are not submitted electronically, simply pay for your dental service and mail the paid receipt and claim form for reimbursement to GSC at the address indicated on the claim form. All GSC claim forms are available online through GSC everywhere. You can also call GSC’s customer service centre. Be sure to include your unique GSC ID number (found on your ID card) and current mailing address on all claims you submit.

Dental claims older than 18 months from the service date, are ineligible for reimbursement.
Coordination of Benefits means that if you and your spouse are both recipients under a dental plan, you may claim up to 100% of the cost of an insured service from the two plans combined.

To file a claim for Coordination of Benefits (COB):
  • If you are a teacher making a claim for dental work on yourself, first file a claim with the Teachers' Dental Plan. Any amounts not reimbursed may be submitted for payment by your spouse's plan. Attach a copy of the Statement of Benefits that you received from the Teachers' Dental Plan to the applicable dental form.
  • Spouses of eligible teachers claiming for dental work on themselves, would submit first to their applicable employers' dental plan (if they have one) and any unpaid amounts may be submitted to the Teachers' Dental Plan. When x-rays have been submitted with a claim to the spouses dental plan, the Teachers' Dental Plan also requires the x-rays to be submitted with the COB claim.
  • If the claim is for dental work on a dependent child, first determine which parent has the earliest birth date (month and day) in the year. The claim should be submitted to the plan pertaining to the parent with the earliest birth date. Once payment has been received, file a dental claim form against the second plan attaching a copy of the Statement of Benefits received with the initial claim.
  • If you are a teacher married to a teacher, and you are both eligible under the Teachers' Dental Plan, you may also claim for COB. If you are making a claim for dental work on yourself, file a claim against your own coverage under the Teachers' Dental Plan. At the time you file your claim, attach a COB claim completed by the spouse, and once your claim is processed any residual amounts will be claimed against your spouse's coverage. If you are making a claim for dependent children, determine whether the first claim should be against your coverage (i.e. first birth date as described above) or your spouse's coverage. If you attach a claim for COB completed by the spouse, once the first claim is processed any residual amounts will be claimed against the spouse's coverage.

Dentists will be required to complete two applicable dental plan forms.
Expenses incurred with respect to dentures installed within 30 days of termination of a teachers contact till be considered as eligible expenses, if initial impressions were taken while the member was insured and before termination of the contact.

No other benefits will be continued after termination of a teacher's contract.

Following the termination of a contract, all unpaid claims must be received by the insurance carrier within 90 days to be considered for reimbursement.